Flickr Photo Credit: Any Jazz 65
Even immediate family members can have difficulty finding time to spend together in today’s society. Finding the finances to do so can also be a challenge.
Following are some ideas to make these events worthwhile, efficient and affordable:
1. Vintage party games – In this day and age of computer games and videos, many children do not even know about some of the old fashioned games the rest of us grew up with. Let Grandma or Aunt Josephine organize a game of Pin the Tail on the Donkey, freeze tag, or an old fashioned board game tournament with some of the classics such as Trouble, Scrabble, Chinese Checkers, etc.
2. Tie dye some tee-shirts. This is great particularly if you are all meeting at a national park or campground. Basic tee-shirts are very affordable, and so is RIT dye. Using this strategy can be a fun activity for all groups of the family getting ready for the event and also helpful to keep an eye on the children during the big day.
3. Pick an affordable and simple menu. Breakfast / brunch gatherings, baked potato buffets, pot luck dinners and soup buffets are all very economical. The point is to make the event do-able for all members of the family, regardless of their financial situation.
4. Book a group cruise. OK, this one is not exactly the cheapest option. However, there are some decent package deals out there and compared to other destination get togethers, cruises can be very affordable. Other benefits? Nobody is stuck planning and coordinating all the activities, there are things there for everyone including the kids, all food is prepped, and nobody has to clean.
5. Assign a few photographers and have people send digital pics ahead of time.Make one person responsible for putting together a digital slideshow at the end of the event.
That’s what I have for now, although I’ll be looking for more ideas in the coming months. If you have a great and simple idea to make family get togethers run smoothly, by all means, let us know!