Recipe: Cabbage – Ramen Salad (Asian Cole Slaw)

Cabbage.

Flickr Photo Credit: Soylentgreen23

One of my fellow teachers on Guam used to make this recipe for all of our large BBQ / pot luck gatherings. Before I left, I asked her for the directions so I could add it to my list of cabbage recipes. I’ve taken it to a bunch of gatherings myself, as well as used it as a staple summer recipe in our home. It gets rave reviews and is very inexpensive to make. Those searching for vegan ramen ideas will be glad to know that this recipe can easily be made without animal products by switching to either the Oriental or chili flavors of Top Ramen and using those seasoning packets instead of the chicken-flavored seasoning.

Dressing: couple of pinches of sugar, oil, rice or regular vinegar, the seasoning packet from a package of chicken ramen (or other desired seasoning).

Salad: toasted chopped or slivered almonds (I buy the whole ones, then chop and toast myself to save on cost.), sesame seeds, broken and uncooked ramen noodles (if you use the chicken kind you’ll already have the seasoning packet – or you can use another kind of ramen and a bit of chicken bouillon from the pantry), chopped cabbage as the main ingredient.

Adjust ingredient amounts to desired amount of servings. I also use this recipe as the basis for a once a month or bulk cooking recipe. Here’s how i do it: I chop and toast a large bag of almonds from the warehouse store (350 for about 10 minutes on a large cookie sheet should do it). While that’s happening, I fill a bunch of quart sized resealable freezer bags with the following: a package of chicken ramen crushed and uncooked (you can do this inside the package and then dump it in), the seasoning packet from the ramen package, a handful of sesame seeds. Once the almonds cool, you can add a handful of those too. Then, you seal up the freezer bags, labeling and dating them. I put all of these smaller ones into a large gallon zip-up plastic bag. If you do a dozen of these, you have enough to serve this once a week as a side dish for three months. The ease of advanced prep is what makes this one of our favorite ramen recipes. Just chop the cabbage and whip up the dressing. This is a great side dish with baked beans, sliced cooked ham, baked chicken legs, etc.

Comments

1. I LOVE this recipe! I have used it so many times since you shared it. I adapted it with the addition of 1/4 cup of white wine rather than using vinegar and also adding in mandarin oranges and chopped green onion. You’re right, this recipe gets lots of great feedback! Awesome!

2. myscha39 says:

The white wine and mandarin orange additions sound like a great variation! I could see a little chopped cooked chicken in there too . . . great idea on modifying the dressing for a little extra pizazz.

3. Lorna says:

Broccili slaw is often on sale for 99 cents at our local market . Ittaste great as a sub for the cabbage slaw.

4. myscha39 says:

I’ve never heard of broccoli slaw, Lorna. I’ll have to check it out. Thanks for posting.

5. Debra says:

Do you have a list of ingredients and amounts to use? Or am I missing it?

6. myscha39 says:

Hi Debra.

It’s worked into the description, because the ingredients are so limited with this recipe . . . which is what makes it so cheap and great to include as a regular flexible menu item. Basically, you need oil, vinegar, water, sugar, almonds, cabbage, and a package of chicken ramen with the seasoning packet included.

Hope you enjoy it.

7. JJ says:

So where’s the damn recipe????

8. myscha39 says:

Well, since you asked so nicely, I’ll reiterate the obvious . . . it’s right above you, worked into the discussion. I’ve even gone back and bolded it for your convenience. Any other politely worded questions?

9. Julie says:

how much oil and vinegar do you use

10. myscha39 says:

Hi Julie.

I just use the lines on the glass cruet . . . you know the ones that you can buy with the premade dry mixes at the store or pick up at the thrift store for a nickel. If you don’t have one of those, go for about a cup and a half of total dressing and use whatever ration of oil to vinegar you prefer when calculating your fat and calories. It’s a pretty forgiving little recipe and you can whip it up in large batches for group BBQ’s as well.

Does that help?

11. MJ says:

I love this slaw and have made it for years. I have never used the seasoning from the ramen packages; I just buy ramen noodles now. I will have to try that variation. But I do often vary how much almonds I use and they are a great way to make the salad more elegant for a smaller group. And I rarely use red cabbage, but some do.